Friday, February 27, 2009

The fierce urgency of a public service announcement...

I worry about people. There is no end to stories about people who have been duped by some scam or another. Unfortunately, whoever said, "There's a sucker born every minute," was right. It wasn't P. T. Barnum.

If you haven't noticed, I have added an Amazon.com link to my website. I'll move it after a couple of posts but I mostly put it there to make a point. I loved the book. I laughed my fool head off. I strongly recommend you click on the link and buy the book.

Am I saying this because I really think the book is funny? Yes.

Is my only reason for asking you to click on the link because I am trying to recommend a great book. No. I think lots of people should click on that link because if enough people do it, I'LL GET SOME MONEY!

That said, don't click on the link. This blog is an act of love, not commerce. Read on, please.

There are half a dozen (at least) companies advertising their fool heads off telling you that because of bad economic times, it is in your interest to buy gold. The arguments are persuasive. Stocks come and go, gold is eternal. Please make no mistake. The reason they think people should buy gold is BECAUSE THEY ARE SELLING GOLD. If they were selling bunion pads, I guaran-bloody-tee that bunion pads would be the place to be putting your money.

Please take this advice. Your financial future is not in a TV commercial. Find a respectable, and LICENSED, financial advisor who patiently answers all of your questions. If you are uncertain and they dissuade you from investing, they are a winner. If they are talking and you find yourself saying, "Uhuh....uhuh....uhuh," run. That person is a salesperson, not a financial advisor.

If you're bound and determined to buy tangible assets, buy what people really need and will pay anything to get...food. You don't need a car. You don't need a computer. You don't even need a house. But if you don't eat, you'll die.

Fair disclosure: I own five shares of Barrick Gold Corp. However, I am dissuading you from buying gold so there is no conflict of interest, except to me. I own no positions in agriculture.

Be smart with your money. It will only become more precious.




Technorati Tags:
, ,


Sphere: Related Content

No comments: